In this short note to you, I thought I would outline some of my highlights from the past year, and promises for the next four.
Highlights in my year have included:
- Supporting established and emerging community groups to get council support, funding, and connections with third party organisations to help them get what they want to achieve.
- Providing a voice to challenge the attitude and work practices of developers and building firms who forget or don’t recognise that they need to respect, think about and communicate more effectively with the people that already live in the City Centre. Construction noise, especially at weekends and overnight has been a far too regular complaint and I have been demanding better.
- Acting to protect our blue and green places, including getting tree preservation orders in place, working with volunteers on the canal and joining community gardening projects.
- Supporting local businesses from larger stores like Kendals, which was threatened with closure to supporting small businesses with the challenges of increases to business rates and the effect on business of badly managed commercial waste and anti-social behaviour.
- Reporting anti-social behaviour, supporting our anti-social behaviour team in taking action, and helping residents with the impact it has on their daily lives.
If re-elected on 2nd May for a full, four-year term my priorities will include:
- Improving our environment: clean air, clean streets, call for stronger action on pollution and congestion.
- Housing for all: seeing our recently adopted affordable housing policy used to investigate
- Fight crime: police cuts have had a massive impact on the number of officers available to fight crime, call for more powers and resources to stop anti-social behaviour and focus officer time in to prevention not just responding to reported crime.
- Championing communities: making sure Deansgate war residents are listened to, not just told what will be done to them without a chance to have their say.